I ask my Kids some Questions about Friendship
In my previous interviews I discovered my kids would happily hang out on a deserted island with a group of celebrities I had never heard of and that my children had unexpected dreams for the future.
This time I have asked them all about their friendships. I wanted to include some questions about marriage and romance too but that was an epic fail with my teenagers. You’d think, having been a teenager myself once upon a distant time, that I should have expected this. The rolled eyes, the huge sighs and the flopped heads onto folded arms were the accompaniments to the responses they were willing to give me.
I sort of thought if I disguised the questions carefully by sliding them in between innocent ones about their mates, I would catch them out with a few of their secrets revealed. It turns out that having a casual chat to teenagers about romance is a LOT harder than I thought it would be. I need to change tactic – like learning mind reading – if I want to figure out what they REALLY think about the opposite sex.
My children are 16, 13, 11 and 9 years old, I’ve colour coded their replies accordingly. Here are the questions they all did answer:
What was the name of your first best friend and how old were you?
- Riley, 2 yrs old
- Liam, 4 yrs old
- Aoibheann, 0
- Cara, 0
What age is appropriate for dating?
- 16 or 17
What age is appropriate for getting married?
- Any age after 16
- 20 and over
- 20 and up
How long should you be married before having kids?
- Argh mum these are terrible questions
- Depends, I don’t know…
- *shrugs* a year?
- 4 years
Is it better to have a few good friends or plenty of general friends?
- A few good ones – definitely
- A few good ones
- A lot of general ones
- A few good ones
What is the nicest thing your friends have ever done for you?
- They threw a surprise party for me and got the whole class involved, it was the first party in my new school
- We were at a match and one of my friends bought me a can of Pringle’s and a drink
- When I was sad one day, one of my friends helped me and one of my friends invited me to Tayto Park
- I was at a sleepover and I had no clean clothes, so my friend’s dad went to Tesco and bought me some. (much to my mortification)
What are good qualities in a friend?
- Never make fun of you, encouraging and funny
- Loyalty, humour, chemistry – personality match with yours
- Kind personality, loving, not selfish, both enjoy the same things
- Don’t laugh at you when you tell secrets, not bossy, laugh at your jokes
What do you like to do with your friends?
- Go walking, playing football, shower in our swimming costumes (I’m not sure what to say here? If you had asked me what she liked to do, I would not in a million years have guessed this!)
- Talk, play sport, play video games, cycle, swim, walk
- Talk, dance, play games
- Explore the woods, do hairstyles and make slime
What are some of the things that adults like to do with their friends?
- Drink coffee and chat, go for walks, go to shows
- Talk, watch a match, have a few pints
- Chat, men like to watch rugby, go out to dinner
- Chatting and laughing and drinking tea
If you could go anywhere on holidays with your best friends, where would you go?
- South Africa to show them around
- Japan, theme parks
- To Paris and to cycle around France
- South Africa because it’s hot and want to swim with dolphins and go on a safari with them
What do you want to do at your next party?
- BBQ at home with ALL my friends
- Not sure, will cross that bridge when we get there
- Go on our boat to the beach and have a BBQ and swim
- Take four friends to the ice skating rink followed by a hot chocolate
Which famous person do you think would make a good friend?
- Tom Holland (lol, thought we’d dodged that bullet?? – see previous posts as mentioned above)
- Ariana Grande
- Elle from the Ace Family (YouTubers – apparently she can’t say much as she’s only two but she’s really cute)
So you can see I gave up pretty quickly with the marriage theme but once again, I discovered things I never knew, about my kids and about celebrity culture. Also that they love to be interviewed, as long as I ask the right questions! I’ve asked for suggestions from them for the next interview…
Fill in your details if you’d like the next post emailed directly to you, or tell me what you enjoyed about this post in the comments section below:
My following interview is about our USA road trip