This may be the shortest post you read today, but perhaps it will be one of the most important? I want to tell you to start doing THAT thing, the thing you’ve been putting off for too long.
We all struggle with ‘buts’. Apparently it was Mother Theresa who said: “We are not called to be successful, just faithful“, BUT it can be hard to silence the voices in your head that tell you:
- You have never done this before so you don’t have any idea how to do it – you will fail, don’t even start, it’s a total waste of time.
- It’s a silly idea, haha, what are you thinking? Everyone will laugh.
- Look at them, they are doing a much better job than you, they are cleverer, wittier, more talented.
Silence those voices! It’s time to stop listening to yourself and start talking to yourself. Replace those cruel voices with positive messages, write these down and pin them up where you’ll be reminded of them:
- I have never done this before so I’m breaking new ground -what an achievement!
- There are no silly ideas, if it doesn’t turn out the way I imagined, I will have learned something new.
- Everyone has different abilities, don’t compare myself to other people, what I can offer has as much value as anyone else.
There’s no time like this moment to throw away all the buts and allow the DOUBT to become DO. ‘Cos, only YOU is you, and CAN do what you do.